Monday, October 28, 2013

vingt-deux

Another year.
Another birthday.
A new perspective.

I'm not sure if it's turning 22 that's so strange or if it's turning 22 halfway across the world that makes this birthday feel so different from all the rest. 

I've always asked the "do I look older?" question, but this year I think it's the "do you feel older?" question that became a better fit.  

And I think the answer is yes, I do feel older. Everyone makes 21 out to be this big deal. You're legal, you think you're grown up and there's this sense of invincibility when reality has it that you're still in school, still live at home on the weekends, and still borrow from your parents' pocketbooks. 

But this year, turning twenty-two means having a college degree, important, life altering decisions to make, landing that first full-time, big girl job, saving up for a place to call my own, and easing out of the place I've called home my whole life to start my own. Scary and exciting stuff, folks! 

So with today being my 22nd birthday, I've decided to reflect on some highlights and favorite things from the year of 21.  

- Finished college a year early. 
- Decided not to go to law school.
- Still sleep in my XL Delta Gamma shirts.
- Sour patch kids aren't just for kids.
- No I'm not 18.
- And no, I'm not still in high school.
- Halfup, halfdown with a hair clip is still acceptable.
- Red lipstick is my favorite.
- Red dresses are even better.
- I've become quite the cook.
- Sang in 5 Christmas shows.
- Always a Delegate.
- The owner of a high-mileage vehicle.
- Developed a love for fruits and veggies, but a cheese pizza is hard to beat.
- Bad dreams aren't just dreams until you wake up your parents.
- Living in another country is the best thing I've ever done.
- Collector of Christmas ornaments.
- Photography became a hobby. 
- Growing a green thumb.
- Trouble will always be a fun game.
- One childhood friend got married, another engaged..
- A birthday eve chocolate macaroon to end a year of precious memories and many blessings.

Thanks to my family and friends for the messages, pic-stitch collages, and FaceTime calls. You've truly made it a memorable day from around the globe.

I even had the sweetest (and most delicious) surprise at work today! Have I mentioned that the French do sweets so well?


And because I couldn't be with my parents today, a shameless birthday selfie sent to their inbox this morning will have to tie them over until we can take a stroll down the Champs Élysées and sip on hot chocolate in Paris come Friday!  

1 comment:

  1. Happy birthday, Sweet Maggie! I am enjoying keeping up with you and your time in France through your interesting blog and beautiful photos. I hope this will be the best year of your life, so far.
    May The Lord bless you and keep you.
    Love,
    Sherry Downs
    sherrydowns1@gmail.com. Please send me your contact info

    ReplyDelete