Sunday, October 20, 2013

Marseille Boat Day

A week ago today, I spent the entire day on a boat out in the Mediterranean Sea in Marseille. A lady I work with invited me to tag along with her family and a few of their close friends. She mentioned that when she was about my age and spent a year away from her home in France that she missed being with family on Sundays. She was spot on when she said that. 

The weather was gearing up to deliver a perfect day and I'm so glad I accepted her invitation. It was a nice atmosphere to be around a mom who worried about her 10 year old son and 7 year old daughter and a relaxed father who teased the girl and wrestled with his son in the boat's open bow.

We set out pretty early to give us the whole day to spend on the water. Two hours after we started speeding through the sea, we docked inside one of the callanques for a coffee break with a spectacular view of the cliffs and boats coming and going from the cafe's balcony.

A few more callanques and it was time for a sidewalk lunch of grilled chicken, fresh tomatoes, zucchini, and a small basket of frites (fries). Water has its way of making me feel like I haven't eaten a meal in over a week! I was happy to have an hour or two of tree shade sitting. That spf 85 I slathered all over my face had long worn off and my nose and cheeks were turning pretty pink. Sunburn, windburn, pretty in pink?   

After meals were eaten, desserts served, and espressos finished, we headed back out for a more relaxing ride through the city's old port before making our back to the dock to call it a day...but not before I was offered the wheel and steered us back to the far side of Marseille. 

The water was quite choppy and the air so salty that I didn't even pull out my camera on the boat. Good thing the iPhone comes in handy during moments like that. 

Wishing you smooth sailings for the upcoming week! 



I'm really excited to share yesterday's excursion in the Luberon with you all so check back in a few days for what I think are shaping up to be my favorite batch of photos. I hiked down a mountain without busting my behind so there's that, too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment